Monday, June 14, 2010

Unsolved Mystery!

Hi all
Well today started weird and a bit sad. Olly my husband had to go into town early so i got up early and as i saw him off, on came the gum boots and out i went although it was so cold. The feathered friends had to be fed. Now my routine in the morning is to have the feed ready in the hand and then to start counting feathered children. Counted 7 chickens ~ check .. 3 geese ~ check. 4 duckling ~ count again, and again and again. Jack is gone. Now imagine this here i am standing in the middle of the yard, counting and counting and then saying out loud, " Oh no not again" I looked everywhere for Jack.( Had a J on the back of his/her neck ) I asked the ducklings where Jack is, no answer, the geese don't even want to look my way. Chickens are still in the coop and don't care what mom says, it's just "can we come out now, come hurry, open this door need to do some scratching." So i look under the bushes in the yard, look under the duck house, in the coop, in the rock garden nothing........ Now i sit down, my mind has gone mush as i don't know how this little duckling could have gone missing. I look for feathers in case something caught it, nothing. NO blood nothing. By this time Stanley the farm worker has clocked in and i say to him this Madam has gone mad as i can't find Jack. I am doubting myself and think, maybe to 4 eyes are better than 2. Well i have no idea where he is or what happened. Olly still said he counted 4 duckling before he left, and i was out the door 20 minutes later. Well right there and then i told Stanley today is the day we build a pen and house and hospital for the sick. Now i have to hurry as Hubby will be back in 2 hours and then he needs Stanley for work. With all the planning and that, 2 hours passed in a minute and the next thing i knew here stops my loving husband. Now i am not sure if i must ask for Stanley or do this on my own. Luckily for me i have an understanding hubby and i have finished the House and hospital. Fingers full of plasters, my bones are still cold but the ducklings are in and Ouma is OK. When i say OK i mean she is hospital. I am giving her till Wednesday, then i think it is better to end her poor life as she is not to well and she would be better in heaven. She has eaten something today and had her medicine, but i can't see her suffering anymore.
Oh well, hope tomorrow is mystery and death free and that i can just have a happy and relaxing day with my feathered friends, and that i can go hiking on the farm again.
Have a great day and will let you all know how the day went. Hold thumbs!
Love
Hannelore and feathered friends

1 comment:

  1. Can it be that you have predators like foxes or so in your neighborhood Hannelore? Maybe they are the evildoers. Here in Belgium Magpies often take ducklings, we have seen it very often. I hope that meanwhile you've found it back.
    It's now Wednesday, so I'm thinking on ouma. I hope she's better now.

    ReplyDelete